From The Gazette

St. Laurent

St-Laurent apartment blaze leaves 30 homeless

An early morning fire drove about 30 people from their homes Saturday.

The fire started in a basement at about 4 a.m. and spread rapidly to 16 apartments in the three-storey building on Décarie Blvd in St-Laurent, said Francis Leduc, Montreal fire department operations chief.

The fire likely started after someone forgot something on a stove, Leduc said. Unfortunately, the building’s smoke detectors were not working.

About 100 firefighters helped fight the blaze.

No one was hurt. But residents cannot return to their homes. The Red Cross and Sun Youth helped relocate many of the victims who needed another place to stay.

Take extra care over the holiday season, Leduc warned. It’s important to check smoke detectors and make sure that they are working properly, Leduc said.

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>